You have chosen to sponsor your bid up to a maximum amount of .
Cultural Anthropology Final Paper/Discussion Assignment – total 150 points Spring 2012 – section 101 Required attendance and participation in the final discussion and presentations on Tuesday, May 1st – 50 points
Paper Due Tuesday, May 1st – LATE PAPERS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED AFTER 6pm on May 1st.
Instructions: This is a standard paper that must be typed. (100points) - 2-3 pages double-spaced with regular one inch margins - this means about 300
words per page
papers that are too short will have points deducted
o maximum of 6 page
- use at least 2 references outside of class material
be sure to list completely any website used
- reference the material within the paper that is either a direct quote OR paraphrased, otherwise you are plagiarizing which can give you an “F” on this paper.
- Include a “References Cited” page at the end – this does not count towards the 2 page minimum
- You may use any accepted referencing format you choose – just be sure to do it! - Wikipedia and encyclopedias are not accepted as the 2 outside references
ASSIGNMENT TOPIC – GLOBALIZATION and CULTURE CHANGE Answer the following:
1. Apply what you have learned in this class to look at modern global issues that will be causing change in the next decade or so.
-How could a shortage of cheap, easily accessed oil affect the
economic aspect surrounding exporting and importing food and
-How has and will globalization be a factor in the change?
-What has been and could be the role of the media?
-How might consumerism change?
-What would need to change locally and nationally when an oil shortage
-What about the effect on government? What is our government doing
to deal with peak oil?
-What could be the positive effects of an oil shortage?
-What does localization mean? Is there any of this happening in
-What affects could this have on our culture?
-How would this affect you personally? What can you do?
Think about all aspects of culture in your answer (ie: marriage practices, conspicuous consumption, shopping, jobs, food, politics, living arrangements, economics, belief systems, etc) (question two on next page)
2. Now if you had the power to change our culture to counteract the oil crisis and economic crisis, what would you do? Use your imagination. The only thing you can’t do is make more of the nonrenewable energy.
Where to begin for this paper – topics to consider
1. Look back through the articles listed on D2L in the semester for ideas(ie industrial agriculture).
2. Peak of US natural gas production was a couple decades ago - then enters the new concept of “fracking”. What is its potential, what are the drawbacks?
3. The US is a culture. Suburbs wouldn’t exist without cheap oil.
4. Note some of the political and economic predictions made in the 2003 film
“End Of Suburbia” – have they happened?
5. [url removed, login to view] 6. http://transitioncolorado.ning.com/ 7. http://www.communitysolution.org/